ALBERT W. MILLER was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in October 24, 1845 to Charles Miller and his wife, the former Caroline Pennock. He grew up in Philadelphia before the Civil War, and was living there when he enlisted in the Union Army on February 9, 1864 with Company B, 183rd Infantry Regiment Pennsylvania. He soon was in battle, at the Battle of the Wilderness. On May 12, 1864 during the fighting at Spotsylvania Courthouse he suffered a head wound which caused fainting spells for the balance of his days. After spending the better part of seven months in military hospitals he was returned to his unit in December of 1864. He mustered out with the rest of his regiment on July 13, 1865 at Washington DC. Albert Miller was awarded an invalid's pension for his Civil War duty on April 5, 1872.
Returning to Pennsylvania after the Civil War, Albert Miller went to work as a waterman (sailor) on the Delaware River. He resided in the 16th Ward, on or near Beach Street. Albert Miller married Rebecca Stahl on August 24, 1868, by a Baptist minister, Rev. Harrison. The Millers were living in Philadelphia when the census was enumerated in 1870.
The 1880 Census shows Albert Miller and his wife Rebecca on Beach Street in Philadelphia. His occupation was stated as "Follows the water", apparently he was an expert in the use of small boats and worked an assortment of jobs involving their use. Later he would also engage in huckstering produce and for a short time went into the junk business. Also at home in 1880 were his widowed mother, son Samuel, 12, daughters Amanda, 11, Mary Anna, 5, and Anna, 2. His older brothers Isaac and Charles also lived there. They were oystermen by trade.
By 1900 there were 10 children, six of whom were living.
The Millers were living in Pennsylvania as late as February of 1881. Albert Miller and his family crossed the Delaware to live in Camden in the 1880s. City Directories and census records show the family moved around quite a bit, but generally always stayed in the North Camden neighborhood bounded by York, Beach, Erie, and North 2nd Streets. City Directories give the following addresses, in 1887 at 30 York Street, in 1888 at 39 North Street, and in 1890 addresses at both 39 North Street and 932 Beach Street are given.
By 1900 Albert and Rebecca Miller had had ten children, sadly, only six were still living. The 1895 Census shows son Alfred, and daughters Carrie, Rose, and Lillian were still living at home. Carrie was not living at home when the 1900 census was taken. The family was then residing at 204 Erie Street.
The 1906 Camden City Directory shows that Albert W. Miller had moved to Cramer Hill, residing at 930 North 25th Street and working as a fisherman. This move was short-lived, and by 1910 Albert and Rebecca Miller had returned to their old neighborhood, taking up residence at 4 York Street. May of 1912 found them living around the corner at 924 Beach Street. By the summer of the following year they had moved around the corner once again, this time to 51 North Street.
Albert W. Miller was working aboard a boat while employed by the Vaughan Piledriving Company, located at Beach and Erie Streets in North Camden when by some mischance he fell into the water and drowned on July 5, 1913. His body was discovered adrift in the river three days later. After funeral services at the North Street home, he was buried at Evergreen Cemetery.
Albert Miller's son Alfred, a shipyard carpenter, had married and by 1917 had moved to 2839 Garfield Avenue in Cramer Hill. When the Census was taken in 1920 Rebecca Miller was living at with Alfred, by then a widower, and his six year old son at 928 North 24th Street. She died on November 3, 1922 in the borough of Clementon most likely at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Amanda Ettman, at Scott and Second Avenue. Funeral services, conducted by Camden undertaker John Crawford, were held at the daughter's home on November 8, after which she was buried with her husband. Alfred Miller apparently never remarried. He was living at 3083 Carman Street in East Camden as late as the spring of 1930.
Hundred and Eighty-third Infantry. - Cols., George P. McLean, J. F.
McCullough, James C. Lynch, George T. Egbert; Lieut.Cols., William
Powell, James C. Lynch, George T. Egbert, Augustin T. Lynch; Majs., John
Reynolds, George T. Egbert,
183d, known as the Fourth Union League regiment, was recruited from the
soon as it was organized it joined the army upon the Rapidan and was
assigned to the 1st brigade, (Col. Miles) 1st division, (BrigGen.
Barlow) 2nd corps, (Maj.-Gen. Hancock). It was engaged without heavy
loss at the Wilderness but in the fighting at
Capt. John F. McCullough, a gallant officer of the 140th Pa., was thereupon commissioned colonel on May 28, 1864, as few of the line officers were experienced in the service. In the fighting at the North Anna river and Totopotomy, the 183d lost 11 killed, 23 wounded and 2 missing. Among the killed was the brave Col. McCullough, who fell on the 31st at Totopotomy creek. In the desperate fighting at Cold Harbor the regiment lost 5 killed, 76 wounded and 14 missing.
June 15 Capt. James C. Lynch of the 106th Pa. was commissioned colonel
of the regiment. It was active in the first assaults at Petersburg and
suffered considerable loss during the next 5 days in the effort to
advance its lines. On July 19, 1864 the veterans and
to Petersburg it was active at Reams' station and shortly afterward was
detailed for duty at Cedar Road Station guarding the railroad. Toward
the close of September it returned to the trenches before Petersburg on
the extreme right of the line. It was not again active until February,
1865, except for a reconnaissance to Hatcher's run in December. It
shared in the action at Dabney's mill, February 5, 1865, when the lines
Source: The Union Army, vol. 1
Camden Daily Courier
July 8, 1913
Camden Courier or Camden Post-Telegram * July 1913
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE