LORETTA F. IRELAND was born in Dividing Creek NJ in November of 1869, the oldest of three daughters born to Dr. William H. Ireland and Anna B. Ireland. Her father, after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1867, practiced medicine in Millville and at Dividing Creek, before moving to Camden in the fall of 1870. A specialist in obstetrics and gynecology, he served as County Physician for three years, and was an instructor at the Training School for Nurses. The 1880 Census shows the Ireland family at 611 North 2nd Street. Dr. Ireland and his family appear in the Camden City Directories from 1887 through 1891 as living at 330 Cooper Street, and he was also noted at that address in the 1897 Biographical Review. Dr. Ireland also is noted in the 1890-91 Directory at 226 Vine Street in North Camden. Loretta Ireland remained at 330 Cooper Street through at least 1903, when she moved to Merchantville NJ.
Loretta Ireland, who, like her younger sister Anna, never married, trained as a teacher. She was educated at the Raymond Academy and at the University of Pennsylvania. She was traveling in Europe at the time the 1897 Biographical Review was written. After returning to New Jersey, Loretta Ireland secured a teaching position with the Camden Board of Education. She first taught and later served as first assistant principal at the Mickle School. Miss Ireland then was made a principal in the Camden School system, and filled that post at the Broadway, Cassady, and Cooper Elementary Schools. She also was on the Board of Directors of the Camden Day Nursery. Loretta Ireland retired from the Camden public school system at the end 1932-1933 school year.
A resident of 110 Westminster Avenue in Merchantville NJ for the last 46 years of her life, Loretta Ireland passed away at home on April 6, 1950.
Aerial Photos taken about 1925
These two pictures were taken in 1925 or early 1926, prior to the opening of the Delaware River (Ben Franklin) Bridge.
In the upper left hand photo, The James M. Cassady School on State Street is seen from the south-west, with the Reeve Mansion, which had been the home of industrialist Augustus Reeve, is visible across North 3rd Street.
In the lower picture, the view is from the south-east. The Cassady school is for the most part obscured by its label. The Reeve Mansion, is clearly visible, a large 3 story house, painted in a light color, with four windows on the third floor facing State Street.
Camden Courier-Post * June 1 6, 1933
Eight retiring school principals were honored last night at a banquet in the junior ballroom of Hotel Walt Whitman by the Camden Principals' Association.
Amid decorations of roses and spring flowers these teachers, who have served the city from 35 to 40 years, heard words of praise from their schoolmates and superiors.
They are Miss Daisy Furber, Central School; Mrs. Margaret Thomson, Northeast; Miss Minerva Stackhouse, Davis; Miss Bessie Snyder, McKinley; Miss Clara S. Burrough, Camden High; Miss Helen Wescott, Mulford; Miss Loretta Ireland, Cooper; Miss Charlotte V. Dover, Washington.
Harry Showalter, president of the association, presided. Eighty guests represented the entire school system of 38 institutions. Showalter, Dr. Leon N. Neulen, superintendent of schools, and Dr. James E. Bryan, retired superintendent, joined in paying tribute to the retiring principals as having set a high example for Camden's school system.
The male teachers serenaded the women instructors and vice versa with song. At the closing the teachers joined hands at the suggestion of Dr. Bryan and sang "Auld Lang Syne." .
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE