RABBI MAX WEINE was born on January 1, 1907 in what was then Russian-ruled Poland to Morris and I. Helen Weine. His father came to the United States in 1906 and settled in Detroit, Michigan. Morris Weine sent for his wife and children in 1910. The family, which included five older siblings was living at 588 King Avenue in Detroit in January of 1920, where Morris Weine was in business as a retail junk dealer. The Weine's were still at that address April of 1930.
After being ordained as a rabbi, Max Weine presided over the synagogue at Rutland, Vermont from as early as 1937 through 1942. He accepted a post in Camden, New Jersey where he would serve as the interim Rabbi for Congregation Beth El while their rabbi, Philip Lipis, was on active duty with the United States Navy. Upon the return of Rabbi Lipis, Rabbi Weine accepted the rabbinate of Congregation Beth Israel in East Camden, where he served with great distinction into the 1970s.
After retiring from Beth Israel Rabbi Weine returned to Michigan. In 1975 the Rabbi Max Weine Institute for Judaism, located at Congregation Beth Shalom in Oak Park, Michigan was founded. The institutes serves to give instruction to prospective converts to Judaism.
Rabbi Weine passed away on November 11, 1985 in Oak Park. He was survived by his wife Mae, who joined him on June 5, 2004, a son and a daughter. Mae Weine was prominent in her own right, as the creator of the Weine Cataloguing Scheme for Jewish Libraries. It is a system used by congregational libraries all over the country.
Rabbi Weine at Congregation Beth El
March of 1943, Rabbi Max Weine, who had been Rabbi in Rutland.
Vermont, began his service as Beth
El's interim Rabbi while Rabbi Lipis was a
Navy chaplain. The late Friday night services were conducted in the auditorium
instead of the main sanctuary in order to conserve oil. Memorial tablet sales
were stopped because of the shortage of bronze, but Beth El's basic religious,
cultural educational and social programs continued.
Second Annual United Thanksgiving services were held at Beth El. Chaplain Lipis
took part, together with Rabbi Weine and Beth Israel's new Rabbi, Mordecai
In 1945 amessage appeared in the Beth El Ball Journal from Rabbi Max Weine who in Rabbi Lipis' absence was serving as Beth El's "acting rabbi." Rabbi Weine wrote of the day when "our boys come home and will have realized the profound truths of religion .... and experience a burning desire to be closer to Jewish life .... We of the Home Front who, are far from the horror of war should prepare and improve Beth El for the homecoming" .
There was also a message from Chaplain Lipis together with a picture of him in Navy uniform. In his message he praised Rabbi Max Weine for his "inspiration and guidance."
On June 18th, Morris Liebman was installed for a fourth term as President of Congregation Beth El. Mrs. Max Pincus became Sisterhood President. At the installation, chaired by Commissioner Aaron, both Rabbi Weine and Chaplain Lipis spoke.
May 13, 1945, the Servicemen's Tablet was dedicated. Rabbi Weine officiated at
the dedication. The Honorable E. George Aaron, Director of Public Affairs of
Camden was on the program together with Mayor George Brunner. Among those listed
on the tablet were two names that followed each other in alphabetical order,
Ensign Martin Odlen and
Staff Sergeant Joseph Ostrov. Twenty-five years later, they were to follow each
other as presidents of Beth El.
Rabbi Max Weine, after serving Beth El since Purim of 1943, left Beth El on Purim of 1946 to become Rabbi of Beth Israel Synagogue in Camden where he continues to serve with great distinction. He became a leading figure in the Jewish community and achieved special note in the ranks of the Conservative Rabbinate for his erudite scholarship, His wife, Mae, was to achieve prominence in her own right for her outstanding expertise in the field of the "Jewish library".
Beth Israel Graduating Class - circa 1969
Left to Right- .
Click on Image to Enlarge - Click Here To Supersize
A Tribute to Rabbi Max Weine * April 30, 1972
"It has been said that every man should step to the music of his own drummer. Such a man is Rabbi Weine. He has an abiding love of learning and compassion for all men.
He epitomizes the word "rabbi" in its true meaning - a man whose unassuming, soft-spoken manner belies his firm conviction, his steadfast adherence to the principles which guide his beliefs and action.
In the confusion of our times, Rabbi Weine has set his sights on the path most closely aligned with his own "drumbeat." In a period when integrity and humility are rare qualities, he has become, quite unintentionally a man unique in his time.
Rabbi Weine has kept pace the issues of our time, serving his urban community in the interests of equality and the tranquil coexistence of races and religions based on education and understanding.
While his gentle ways and humble concern for the welfare of others might seem out of step among today's clerical masters of oratory bonvivant personalities and astute businessmen, this man is consummately respected by his peers and well loved by his friends and congregants."
The Crown of a Good Name Exceeds All Others. (Pirke Avot)
Dr. Harold Berlin, Chairman Rabbi Max
Weine Tribute Dinner
Monsignor Joseph W. Devlin, Interfaith
Blackman, Congregation Beth Israel
Mr. David Rosoff, President of Congregation Beth Israel
Rabbi Max Weine
A GRATEFUL COMMUNITY PAYS TRIBUTE...
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE