CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
920 Federal Street, 800 Federal Street & 733 Federal Street
Roy A. Wagner was operating a bar under a soft-drink license at 920 Federal Street as early as 1932. He acquired the bar at 800 Federal Street after the municipal elections of 1935.
The first time a bar appears at 800 Federal Street in Camden City Directories is 1929, when George Hamill, who had been operating an establishment at 636 Federal Street, opened up a bar under a "soft drink" license at 800 Federal Street. He had previously been in the florist's business. Hamill had the establishment as late as the spring of 1935. Prior to that, 800 Federal street had been the site of the Acme Tea Company grocery store.
was repealed in 1933. George Hamill applied for and obtained a liquor
license. He ran unsuccessfully for Camden's City Commission as an
independent in 1935, then sold the bar. In 1939 he opened a club on Brace
Road in Delaware Township that was called The Farm which remained in
business into the 1970s. By 1979 the club had been renamed The
Coastline, and stayed open until 2016. The new owners of the property
planned to raze the building and develop a senior citizen's living
center on the site.
Roy Wagner employed two of his brothers, Phillip and George C. Wagner, as bartenders.
George C. Wagner is behind the bar. The couple at the far end of the bar are Roy A. Wagner, who owned the establishment, and his wife Jennie. The dark-haired man seated next to Mrs. Wagner is identified as Al Bott. The father and son in the foreground at right are Joseph and Sonny Leaming.
Camden Courier-Post - May 14, 1952
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE