CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
2312 Federal Street
Spuhler's Grille was a fixture on Federal Street in East Camden from the 1940s until at least 1960, when owner Harry Spuhler passed away. In the mid 1960s the bar was known as Cressman's Cafe. By 1970 the bar's name had changed to the Apollo Bar, and would remain as such until about 2000, when the bar was shut down after a shooting incident within the premises.
Harry Spuhler was born in New Jersey in 1893. His father, Fredolin (often recorded as Frederick) Spuhler was operating a grocery store on Thompson Street in old Stockton Township as early as 1887. Fredolin Spuhler passed away in 1913. At the time of the 1920 census he was living with his mother Mathilde and his siblings at 3201 Federal Street in Camden. At this time he was operating a produce store. A 1921 Business Directory for Camden shows the Spuhler Brothers in the fruit and produce business.
By 1930 Harry Spuhler had wed, and lived with wife Elizabeth and children Harry Jr. and Agnes in East Camden. With the repeal of prohibition in 1934, Harry Spuhler got into the bar business. By 1943 he was the proprietor of Spuhler's Grille, at 2312 Federal Street in Camden. His mother, Mathilde Spuhler, died the following year. Harry Spuhler passed away in 1960, after which time the bar was sold.
St. Joseph's Church
1893-1943 Golden Jubilee Yearbook
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE