CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
following is derived from
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH is
located on Philip Street, above Ferry Avenue. The nucleus of this church
was eight members of the old Wesley Church, who, in 1856, worshipped in
the cellar of the house of Aaron Connor, on Kossuth Street, for which
they paid a rental of fifty cents a month. The services were conducted
by Rev. Peter Wise, of the John Wesley Church, of Philadelphia. In 1857
they worshipped in the house of Mrs. Lyons, on Hooly Street (now
Eighth). In 1858 a one-story frame church building was erected on Eighth
Street and paid for by the original eight members, who instituted a
number of camp meetings, known as two days' meetings and also held
church was built by James Peacock and finished in 1858; the Rev. Henry
A. Brown officiated at the dedicatory services. The
pastors of this congregation, in order of succession, have been Revs.
Peter Wise, Isaac Henson, Robert Robinson, Wilmer Elsey, Isaiah
Broughton, Stephen Johns, John Marshall, Peter Burrough and John S.
Holly. During the first year of the ministry of Rev. J. S. Holly the
initiatory steps were taken to build a larger church, the old one being
too small to accommodate the congregation and Sunday school. In 1882 the
present brick church was erected on Philip Street, above Ferry Avenue.
This church is two stories in height, with basement rooms, large
auditorium in the second story and large gallery across the front, and
cost six thousand five hundred dollars. The congregation has one hundred
and thirty communicants, the Sunday school one hundred members, of which
Lawrence Rhoads is the superintendent. Rev. John Hubbard succeeded Rev.
J. S. Holly and the present minister of the congregation is Rev. John J.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE