aka Abraham Lincoln School
North 28th Street & River Road
The Stockton Board of Education built the Beideman School about 1865. It was originally called the Abraham Lincoln School. The building stood on a stone foundation and had a wooden frame, with four rooms on each of two floors.
The annexation of Stockton, in April 1899, brought eight new schools into the Camden school system. They were:
Blaine School, Third (now 30th) and Green Streets.
Washington School, Fourth (now 27th) and Cambridge Streets.
Lincoln School, 28th Street and River Rd. (now Avenue);
Rosedale School, 3rd Street and Westfield Avenue;
Harrison School, State (now Marlton Ave.) and High Streets;
Garfield School, 29th and Master (now Cramer) Streets;
McKinley School, 35th and Mickle Streets;
Catto School, 30th and Erie (now Saunders) Streets.
Camden now had two schools named for Lincoln, one in East Camden and one on Kaighn Avenue. The commission changed the name of the Lincoln School on Kaighn Avenue to the Claudius W Bradshaw School, in memory of the former Democratic Mayor, who recently died. The wisdom of the name change, however, was "questioned by many sections, because Mr. Bradshaw had never been identified with the public schools."
A news article in a publication called the Modern American, published in 1908 inlcluded the picture above and read:
THE OLD HARRISON SCHOOL, CAMDEN
This building, on the Marlton Pike north of Federal Street, Camden, will soon be demolished, the material having been sold to a contractor. In it many of the men and women of East Camden attended in their childhood, and to these the dilapidated old structure holds many tender memories
A news article in a publication form the Camden Courier of March 19, 1910 however, stated:
OLD SCHOOL ON THE EASTSIDE TO BE A MANUFACTORY
The famous old Harrison School at State and River Avenue has been purchased by a Philadelphia syndicate, who will convert the building into a plant for the manufacture of dental and fine surgical instruments. This is one of the first enterprises of this kind to be started in this city. Contractor and builder J.R. Wiltshire, of Pennsauken, has been awarded the contract and has secured the permit from the City Hall to begin work immediately.
The plans to convert the school to a factory seem to have fallen through and the old school was demolished.
Thanks to Fred Reiss, Ed.D. , for writing the defining book on public education in Camden prior to 1948, PUBLIC EDUCATION IN CAMDEN, N.J.- From Inception to Integration, from which much of the above history of the Kaighn School is derived.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE