CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
STRANDWITZ & SCOTT
DELAWARE AVENUE & PENN STREET
537-549 SOUTH SECOND STREET
LATER KNOWN AS
WILLIAM J. STRANDWITZ & COMPANY
JEFFERSON & MASTER STREETS
William J. Strandwitz was born November 20, 1875 in Norway. He emigrated to the United States in 1893. By 1915 he had gone into business with James Scott at Delaware Avenue and Penn Street in Camden NJ, turning out sheet metal work. The business was located in the 500 block of South 2nd Street in the mid-1920s. By the 1940s the business was known as the William J. Strandwitz Company, and had moved to Jefferson Avenue and Master Street in South Camden. The business remained in Camden through 1947, but had ceased its operations in Camden by 1959.
July 5, 1926
The purpose of this plant with a staff of trained engineers is to assist manufacturers in their sheet metal problems.
William J. Strandwitz became involved in the civic life of Camden City and Camden County. He became a charter member of the Rotary Club of Camden when it was founded in 1912. He was a long-time resident of Haddonfield NJ, where with wife Dorothy, he raised five children, Margaret, William Jr., Norman, Robert, and John T. Strandwitz. In the early 1930s, William J. Strandwitz was one of the leaders of the Citizens Relief Committee, a private sector organization devoted to aiding those most hurt by poverty from the Depression in Camden.
In 1942, youngest son John T. Strandwitz was killed while serving with the United States Marine Corps at Guadalcanal. William J. Strandwitz moved to Merchantville NJ by 1947. He passed away in August of 1967 and is buried at Locustwood Memorial Park in Cherry Hill NJ.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE