In Honored Glory!

World War I Honor Roll

Eben M. Stout

Private, U.S. Army

369th Infantry Regiment,
93rd Infantry Division

Entered the Service from: New Jersey
Died: September 28, 1918
Buried at: Plot C Row 41 Grave 14
Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery
Romagne, France

PRIVATE EBEN M. STOUT was the son of George and Isabella Stout. The Stouts were from East Dover, Kent County DE. George Stout was working as a farm laborer in 1880. The family at that time included one daughter, Rose. Sons George Henry and Eben followed. The Stouts came to Camden around 1890. When the 1900 Census was taken, the family lived at 1009 Chestnut Street, the elder Stout then working as a day laborer. Eben Stout however was living at the State Home for Boys in Middlesex County. When the census was taken in 1910 George H. Stout had married and was living at 833 Chestnut Street with his wife Francis. It appears that Eben M. Stout had come to Camden, living at 708 Silver Street with a 33 year old widow, Louisa Wesley. He was then working as a laborer at a chemical plant.

Eben Stout enlisted in the Army on November 28, 1917. He had been living with his brother at 1140 South 10th Street in Camden NJ. He was sent to Camp Merritt to become a member of Company M, 15th New York National Guard Regiment. This unit was reorganized and became Company M, 369th Infantry Regiment, and sailed for France in January of 1918. 

The 369th Infantry Regiment is popularly known as the Harlem Hellfighters.  is the popular name for theformerly the 15th . The unit was also known as The Black Rattlers, in addition to several other nicknames. The 369th Infantry Regiment was constituted June 2, 1913 in the New York Army National Guard as the 15th New York Infantry Regiment. It was organized on June 29, 1916 at New York City. It was mustered into Federal service on July 25, 1917 at Camp Whitman , New York. It was drafted into Federal service August 5, 1917. The regiment trained in the New York Area, performed Guard Duty at various locations in New York, and trained more intensely in South Carolina, where they experienced significant racism from the local communities, and other units. The 15th Infantry Regiment, NYARNG was Assigned on December 1, 1917 to the 185th Infantry Brigade. The 15th Infantry Regiment shipped out from the New York Port of Embarkation on December 27, 1917, and joined its Brigade upon arrival in France, but the unit was relegated to Labor Service duties instead of combat training. The 185th Infantry Brigade was assigned on January 5, 1918 to the 93rd Division  [Provisional]. 

The 15th Infantry Regiment, NYARNG was Reorganized and redesignated March 1, 1918 as the 369th Infantry Regiment, but the unit continued Labor Service duties while it waited the decision as to what to do with the unit.

It was finally decided on April 8, 1918 to assign the unit to the French Army for duration of the United States participation in the war. The men were issued French helmets and brown leather belts and pouches, although they continued to wear their U.S. uniforms. The 369th Infantry Regiment was Relieved May 8, 1918 from assignment to the 185th Infantry Brigade, and went into the trenches as part of the 16th French Division and served continuously to July 3rd. The regiment returned to combat in the second battle of the Marne. It had held a section of trenches near Butte du Mensil from July 23rd to August 19th. On August 19, the regiment went off the line for rest and training of replacements.

When the French Fourth Army advanced northward in the Champagne on September 26th the three regiments of the 93rd American Division were included as units in the French divisions of the IX Corps, which was directed to attack from a position a few miles west of the Argonne Forest. The 369th Infantry had entered this general area on April 16, 1918, and was in support when the attack of September 26th started, attached to Gen. Leboucís 161st Division.  The division eventually advance north to the Souain - Cernay road. The 369th entered a gap in the line during the first day and took the town of Ripont, capturing a number of prisoners and several pieces of artillery.

Private Eben Stout was killed in action on the first day of the offensive, September 26, 1918.