ADAM SCHLORER had established a meat business in 1883 in Camden. The business was originally at Second and Arch Streets, moved to 800-804 Chestnut Street in 1888, and would remain there into the 1950s.
By 1887 Adam Schlorer was living at 415 Chestnut Street. His brother Edward Schlorer, also a butcher, lived next door at 413 Chestnut. After marrying Wilhelmina Zinn in Camden in 1885, son William Schlorer was born in 1887, John A. Schlorer came in 1889, followed by daughters Elsie and Amelia. In early 1888 Adam Schlorer set up a second location at the southeast corner of South 8th & Chestnut Streets. In 1906 he consolidated the business at the South 8th & Chestnut Street location, where he also made his home. During the 1910s he served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Broadway Trust Company bank, at Broadway and Walnut Street. He retired in 1926. Sons John and William would carry on the family business.
Adam Schlorer passed away at his home in Wildwood NJ on January 25, 1928.
John A. Schlorer would remain with the family business, A. Schlorer & Sons, his entire life, before suffering a fatal heart attack while visiting his daughter in Haddonfield NJ in July of 1950. By 1956 A. Schlorer & Sons had shut its doors forever.
Camden Post-Telegram * October 1, 1915
- William Schlorer - Raymond Dunham - John Hurley - Leonard Hoffman -
Henry S. Campbell - Adam Schlorer - Anthony Oberst - Jermiah Beaston - Edward Schlorer
Bank Directory - March 1, 1916
|Historical and Industrial Review of Camden, N.J., 1890|
ADAM SCHLORER, MEATS AND PROVISIONS,
ONE of the largest and most favorably known stores in the city is that of Mr. Schlorer, located at the corner of Second and Arch streets. The business done is one of the largest and best in the city. The present proprietor purchased the business from Mr. Bachrach about six or seven years ago, and has since conducted it with great success.
The store is 25 x 50 feet in dimensions, and fitted in the most commodious manner possible.
A full stock of all kinds of Meats is carried, and here may be found the choice cuts that are the epicure's delight. Fruits and Provisions are always best as they come in fresh every morning.
Four assistants that are capable and efficient are employed and two teams are kept to deliver goods to any part of the city.
Mr. Schlorer is a native of Germany, but has been almost a life-long resident of the city. Mr. Schlorer kills all his own stock purchased in this State, Chester and Lancaster counties, Pa., and does a large wholesale trade. .
South Jersey: A History 1624-1924
ADAM SCHLORER, for many years proprietor of the largest abattoir in South Jersey, now incorporated as A. Schlorer & Sons of Camden, and carried on by his sons, built up his own business from the beginning with marked success. For several years Mr. Schlorer has been retired from active participation in the business, which nevertheless continues to maintain the good name and high standards which he set.
Mr. Schlorer was born in Germany, December 19, 1863, and received his education in the vocational schools of his native land, learning there the trade of butcher. He came to the United States when he was about twenty-eight years of age and spent the first four years in Philadelphia. In 1883, however, he moved to Camden, and established an abattoir at Second and Arch streets, which he carried on with growing success until, in 1906, he moved the business to its present location at Eighth and Chestnut streets.
In 1924 the firm was incorporated as A. Schlorer & Sons, with Adam Schlorer, president, John Adam Schlorer, vice-president and treasurer, and William Edward Schlorer, secretary. Mr. Schlorer had some years previously retired from active business life. He is a director and was one of the organizers of the Broadway Trust Company and also of the Greater Camden Building and Loan Association. In addition, he has a great many keen interests outside of the field of his own business, being a staunch Republican and an active member of the Seventh Ward Republican Club, a prominent member of the Lutheran Church, in which he has served as president of the board of trustees since 1916, a member of the Camden Chamber of Commerce; and of Lodge No. 293, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Mr. Schlorer married, at Camden, October 7, 1885, Wilhelmina Zinn, born in Germany but brought up in the United States from an early age; and they have four children: 1. William Edward, of further mention. 2. John Adam, born December 10, 1889. 3. Elsie, married to John Simpson. 4. Amelia, married to Robert Schroeder, an undertaker of Camden. Mr. and Mrs. Schlorer spend a great deal of time in their summer home in Wildwood, New Jersey.
William Edward Schlorer was born at Camden, May 7, 1887, and attended the Camden Public Schools and Peirce's Business College, graduating from the latter in 1904. He entered his father's business in 1906 upon its removal to its present location, and has been actively engaged in it since that time. He is now managing the business, and under his management it is continuing to grow and prosper, and has a high reputation in local circles as a thoroughly up-to-date concern. Mr. Schlorer is a director of the Business Men's Building and Loan Association; a member of the Camden Club, the Rotary Club, and the Tavistock Country Club, and is regarded as a progressive, public-spirited citizen always ready to cooperate in every good movement having for its object the welfare of Camden. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church, and, fraternally, is affiliated with Mozart Lodge, No. 121, Free and Accepted Masons; Siloam Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Van Hook Council, Royal and Select Masters; Crusade Commandery, Knights Templar; Excelsior Consistory; Crescent Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; Tall Cedars of Lebanon; Lodge No. 293, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and the Camden Shrine Club.
Mr. Schlorer married, in Camden, April 18, 1908, Elizabeth Lamont, born in Eastern Shore, Maryland, and they have one child, Wilhelmina Helene, born October 9, 1909. Mr. and Mrs. Schlorer make their home in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
Chestnut Street - The Home of A. Schlorer & Sons
June 15, 2003
Camden Post-Telegram * February 24, 1903
| Turn Verein
- Turner Hall - Martin Hartmann - Frederick Banzhoff - John Maier
Louis Hartmann - Ferdinand Zuber - Claus Ecks - William Uber - Anthony Oberst - Francis T. Steinbach
John F. Rieger - John Schmidt - William Bartelt - Bernhard F. Schroeder - Rudolf Korfhage
Albert Schradin - Louis Holler - Anthony Kobus - Charles Foulon Sr. - Adam Schlorer - George Kadisch
George Brehm - Herman Fuchs - Theodore G. Maier - Fred Lutz - Edward Schlorer - Frank X. Braun
George Kruck - Conrad Walz - John G. Colsey - John Graef - August Frietag - Herman Ladewig
Benjamin Baier - Fred Schneider - Maynard Dalbey - Ernest Maehler - August Weber - F.W. Kohlenberg
Andrew Haehner - Conmrad Ahrens - Jacob Ruff - Harry C. Halbert - George K. Knauf
Henry Guenther - George Kroecker - Theodore Leopold - Edward McCabe - Adam T. Davis
Gustav Schwoeri - George Lotz
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE