Dugan was born in Ireland in May of 1845, according to the 1900 Census.
He was living in New Jersey in the late 1860s when he married. His wife
Annie bore him a son, William, around 1868. When the Census was taken in
Camden's North Ward. John Dugan appears in the 1870 Census, living in
Camden's North Ward, and working as a laborer. Eight more children
followed the Census, John Jr., Hugh, Kate, Rebecca, Matthew, James (who
sadly died, quite young), James A., and Marie.
stated above, John Dugan was living on Linden Street near
Point Street when appointed to the Fire Department in April of 1876. Within the next
two years he opened a livery, boarding and exchange stable on North
Front Street south of Linden Street. He also bought and sold horses. The
1880 Census shows his address as 102 Linden Street. Also living at 102
Rettberg and his wife Margaret. Jacob
Rettberg owned a large wagon works on Market Street, and it may well
have been with his assistance that John Dugan went into business.
late 1884 or early 1885 John Dugan acquired the building at 100 Pearl
Street, a block north from his previous residence, and opened a saloon,
or, to use the parlance of the times, a hotel. This would be the Dugan
family's address through at least 1900. John Dugan operated both
business as late as 1893. By the latter half of 1894 he had divested
himself of the livery, and concentrated on the bar business. His son,
Hugh F. Dugan, operated a bar at 129 Walnut Street in the 1890s.
Dugan was active in local politics as a Democrat in the 1890s. He was
still in the bar business and living at 100 Pearl Street when the 1900
Census was taken. Living at 100 Pearl Street at that time were John and
Annie Dugan, sons Hugh, Robert, Matthew, and James A., daughter Mary G.,
daughter-in-law Catherine and Julia, and granddaughters Helen and Regina
Dugan. Annie Dugan died not long afterwards, and son James A. Dugan
passed in 1903.
Dugan seems to have retired by 1906, when the City Directory only states
an address, 106 North 2nd Street. Son Hugh F. Dugan, who owned and
operated a successful establishment, the Avenue Hotel, at 6 Delaware
Avenue in Philadelphia, passed away in 1908. John Dugan and his family
were gone from Camden, either having moved or died, by the time the 1910
Census was taken. John Dugan's son Robert and daughter Marie had moved
to Philadelphia by that time.
Dugan was not related to John F.
Dugan, who served with the Camden Fire Department many years after
the John Dugan family had left Camden.