LUDWIG POLNIAK was born in Camden. New Jersey on April 11, 1919 to Leon and Rose Polniak.
Ludwig Polniak's parents were both from the region of Poland known as Galicia, his father being born in a town called Lipskos in 1888. After coming to America in June of 1913, he worked at different jobs in Camden, with the intent of eventually owning his own store. When he registered for the draft in June of 1917, Leon Polniak was working at the Young & Metcher bag factory at South 6th and Mechanic Streets. Leon and Rose Polniak and their son Theodore then lived at 1267 Morton Street. By January of 1920 Ludwig Polniak had been born. The family was now living at 1338 Whitman Avenue, the corner of Whitman Avenue and Pershing Street. Leon Polniak was working at a shipyard, while Rose Polniak handled the two young boys AND kept a grocery, according to the 1920 Census record.
The 1924 Camden City Directory shows the family living and operating a grocery at 1048 Louis Street, between Mount Vernon and Chestnut Street. Leon Polniak was finally able to devote his full attention to the family business. The Polniaks remained at this address into the 1930s. By the 1940s they had moved once again, to 1527 Norris Street, where Leon Polniak operated Leon's Grocery as late as 1947.
Older brother Theodore Polniak enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in February of 1936. Ludwig Polniak had completed two years of high school and was working as a truck driver when he was called to serve in the United States Army in February of 1942. He served with the 8th and 9th Air Force during World War II.
After the war both brothers returned to Camden. Theodore Polniak went to work for the Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Line railroad and moved to Pfeiffer street in East Camden. Ludwig Polniak first returned to his parents home on Norris Street. On December 30, 1950 he became a member of the Camden Fire Department. His wife, the former Blanche Deschin, was the cousin of Edward G. Glaze, who also joined the fire department around this time.
Ludwig Polniak served over 25 years, retiring in 1976. Plagued with heart and lung trouble in his later years, he passed away in Camden on November 12, 2002, survived by his wife, brother, nephews and neices.
Polniak Meat Market - 1048
Photo taken late 1910s or early 1930s
click on image to enlarge
|Camden Courier-Post - December 9, 1949|
Hackett - Owen Gale
August L. Johnson - Harry Sterling
Albert A. Stinger - Jesthroe Hunt
Harold H. Pike - Roy R. Moffa
Allen F. Hess - Franklin Whylings
William L. Gosnell - David W. Humphries
William G. WInstanley - Joshua Robinson
Henry S. Keubler - Adolph S. Zubrzycki
Ralph H. Palmer - Alexander P. Matis
Earl G. Robinson - Anthony J. DiMaggio
Earl A, Smith Sr. - Philip J. MacDonald
Robert P. Olesiewicz - Eugene E. Demers
Chester J. Gedrich - John F. Chudzinski
Samuel D. Siniscalki - Santo Dimaggio
Ludwig Polniak - George P. Baxter
Ralph F. Schaeffer - Joseph J. McTaggart
Louis J. Monahan - John DiMaggio
|William N. Stone - Casper J. Martelli - H. Raymond Dixon|
|Camden Courier-Post - November 14, 2002|
Mrs. Blanche Polniak, wife of Ludwig Polniak, was a retired Camden fire fighter. Photo taken on Saturday, September 9, 2006 at the dedication of the Camden Firemen's Memorial at Fire Headquarters, Third and Federal Streets, Camden NJ. Camden fire fighter Richie Tate is standing behind her, wearing a blue shirt.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE